ALHE4060 Research In Allied Health - Journal Article Review Form
This assignment gives your first experience of reading and reacting to journal literature in Allied Health Research.
Many students never realize there's a world beyond the textbooks and so it's all new to them. You learn that in your specialty
there are things printed every day that are new. You will have to keep up to maintain your professional competency. Journals
are a resource that you can use, both here in school and when you get out in a professional situation. The assignment is
carefully sequenced with clear due dates and instructions.
I believe that all of you, as future health care professionals, should be aware of how you can keep up on new developments
in allied health and the issues that surround them. Therefore, the objectives of this assignment are to familiarize you with
the available literature in medicine and allied health.
To meet the objectives of the assignment, you will:
• Read and study, in detail, one current article on a topic covered in class from any of the three journals
• You will submit two assigned journal articles as Discussion Forums, and you may submit 2 or more of your own
for credit in ALHE4060. Ask the instructor if you wish to submit more than 2.
Details of What You Need To Do:
1. Go to the library and check out the issues of the journal. You can also use the Internet for a resource.
2. TIP: Most Journals publish a subject index in their December issue. This is extremely useful and convenient when performing
searches on subjects.
3. Look through the selected article ass well as the rest of that issue of the journal and several other recent issues
to get a clear understanding of:
4. what kinds of information is published,
5. what audience it is intended to serve
6. Whether references for further information are given.
7. Complete the Journal Article Review Form and submit by the due date.
To receive full credit for this assignment, you must answer all questions on the review form and submit it by the due
date. Here is the information you should submit to your Research website:
Article_____Diabetes Drug Use Risky in Older Adults____
Title of Journal
_____Journal of Gerontological Nursing_________
Volume__34__ Date March 2008 Page Number(s) ______________
• What organization is responsible for publishing the journal you chose?
Journal of Gerontological Nursing
• What is your overall evaluation of this article?
_____Poor ____X__Fair ______Good _______Very Good _____Excellent
• Why did you choose to review this particular article?
I wanted to know more information on diabetes and the drugs used to control them
• How would you rate this article as a tool for teaching a student about cardiopulmonary physiology, radiography,
or another allied health specialty?
Students: __X__Poor ____Fair _____Good ___Very Good _____Excellent
Teachers: __X__Poor ____Fair _____Good ___Very Good _____Excellent
Patients: ____Poor __X__Fair _____Good ___Very Good _____Excellent
• Comment on the readability of this article.
The article was very easy to read, short and straight to the point
• Course Topics covered:
Types of diabetic drugs that are causing more problems in the elderly and the SAMSHA accepting grant
• Brief Summary:
Researchers have identified two types of drugs used to treat diabetic patients as causes of increase risk of heart failure
and death among the elderly.
• Identify and attempt to explain three (3) terms, procedures or concepts that were unfamiliar to you when reviewing
SAMSHA- substance abuse and mental Health Services Adminstration
• Detail the strengths/weaknesses of this article.
Not enough information was given on the effects of Diabetic Drugs
The article had great statisitics
Information for those who qualify for the SAMSHA accepting grant
• How might this article be useful to you in your further studies and career?
I don’t believe that this article had enough information to honestly say it could be used in my field of study,
but I can give others the information about the SAMSHA grant.
• Does the article include a list of references/citations that can be used to find more information on the topics
Your Name: __________Cagney Bailey______ Date: ___April 10th, 2008